Thursday, August 7, 2008

Extreme Terror!!!!

Let me start this by saying that Cooper is going to be fine. With that said, I (mom) have had the worst day of my life! No one ever wants to hear their child's name and Arkansas Children's Hospital in the same breath, but we heard it today. Cooper has a lump on the back of his neck about the size of a golf ball. After hours at the doctor, a radiologist visit and back to the pediatrician, we have found that the lump is not cancerous however, we have to keep monitoring it daily for changes and inevitably, Cooper will have to have surgery to get the cyst removed. They are hoping they can wait until he is about 2 years old to take it out but as I said, we are monitoring it and any change might constitute surgery. If he has to have anything before 2 years old, he will have to have it done at Children's Hospital but at least we are so close to the best of the best!

He was so brave and sweet through the whole ordeal. Every nurse was wrapped around his little finger and everyone keeps asking if he is always as happy as he seems. The answer is yes!!!!!! God has blessed us with the most amazing and happy child and I will continue to thank him every day for blessing us with him and thank him every day that our son is healthy! Even though it is a promising prognosis, please keep our precious boy in your prayers! You can't EVER have enough of those. With that said, I have to give a huge shout out to my dear friend Christy (Frits) Norwood. She had to live the nightmare of taking her baby to Arkansas Children's Hospital and the precious angel (Brycen) pulled through heart surgery with flying colors. What a strong mom!!!! I send this out to you Christy, with tears in my eyes and I salute your bravery!!!!!! You are truly amazing!!!!!

I have to run because I need to put my exhausted baby to sleep. He had a long day (and so did I)!!!!!

6 comments:

Brycen said...

Dana,
I am so sorry to hear about Cooper. We will keep him in our prayers!! Thank you for the shout out. God gave me strength to stay strong for Brycen and he will give it to you to stay strong for Cooper. ACH is an amazing place and God watches over all the doctors and nurses there. We wouldn't have made it without them.
We will be thinking of the three of you! Brad, Christy, and Brycen

Meredith Woodruff said...

Oh my goodness, Dana! I can't imagine what you must have been through today! I will be praying for Cooper! Keep us posted!

Marla said...

Sounds like you had quite a scare, but I'm so glad to hear the good news. I know it will be frustrating to watch and wait, but older is certainly better where surgery is concerned. IKWYM about Children's Hospital - it's the most wonderful place you never want to need. I've spent way too much time at our Children's Hosp and visits there have become lessons for me in humility and gratitude. Everything my kids have come up with so far have been things that can be fixed by the wonderful doctors there, and for that I am always grateful.

Hang in there, girl - becoming a parent is like having your heart go walking around outside your body; it sounds like you had a really tough day, but your little heart stayed his happy self. It takes us parents a lot longer to recover from these things, I think.

Keep us posted! Love you!

Amanda @ Bibs and Cribs said...

God love him! We will be praying for Cooper, and I know everything will turn out fine! We love you!

Kicks & Giggles said...

We will definitely keep Cooper and your whole family in our prayers. He is cute as a button! I am so thankful that everything looks okay!

harris1013 said...

Rhett & Dana-
I am so sorry to hear about your scare. We will continue to pray for him and that the cyst will stay dormant until he is at least two. How about we just pray that thing away...Give him a kiss for me. Hopefully, I can see him soon.
Love, Courtney, Scott & Parker Glaze